Thursday, January 12, 2012

5th Grade Hundertwasser Collage Portrait Paintings


     I adapted this lesson from Deep Space Sparkle about one of my most favorite artists/architects Friedensreich Hundertwasser.  I have taught lessons on Hundertwasser's archtecture, but not on his paintings and prints before, so I was so excited to try this out!

     In 5th grade at Suffield, we talked about the representational and abstract qualities of Hundertwasser's artworks.  The students kept this in mind as they worked to try to end up with both types of elements in their artworks as well.  You can see the step-by-step process of these collages at Deep Space Sparkle.  In my version, we added photos (I encouraged students to try to do a pose that nobody else has done), and then the students tried to really make their photo look like it belonged in the collage.

     Thank  you Deep Space Sparkle for great inspiration!







8 comments:

Christie - Fine Lines said...

I love the way the kids integrated the photo with their landscape!!

Miss said...

These are gorgeous! So colourful and happy! I also really like the addition of the childrens' photos. Thanks for sharing!

Patty Palmer said...

What a brilliant idea to add the children's photos. Adds such a rich detail. Well done!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

I am passing on this Liebster Blog Award to you to show appreciation for your blog. Thanks!
http://kids-finelines.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Just found you through Christie at Fine Lines. Love this project! I will definitely have to try this sometime. I know the kids (and their parents) would love it too!

Portrait Painting said...

These are gorgeous! So colorful !Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

We did it!! My 5 year old and 9 year old. We added their photos and I made one too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely idea. We developed it with our Kinders and it was a huge success!